Career Opportunity – Communications Director
Lillian’s List seeks a passionate and dynamic communicator to expand public awareness of our mission and work and increase our statewide impact! Since 1997, Lillian’s List has been at the forefront of changing the face of power in North Carolina, recruiting, training, and mentoring emerging progressive women leaders who support reproductive freedom and gender equity and are interested in running for state or local office. Lillian’s List has identified over 800 progressive leaders, trained over 700 potential candidates, supported nearly 200 women running for public office, and helped elect over 160 women to the legislature or Council of State.
The Communications Director will work under the supervision of our Executive Director and will be based out of our Raleigh headquarters with remote work opportunities available. They will design and manage our communications programs, developing robust annual communications plans that utilize all of the tools at our disposal to broaden public awareness of Lillian’s List, attract new potential candidates, volunteers, and donors and clearly communicate our impact. The successful candidate will be committed to reproductive freedom and nurturing women leaders with the ability to work with a diverse group of staff, supporters and volunteers to meet our determined communications goals.
Ideal Experience and Qualifications:
● Commitment to the mission of Lillian’s List and increased representation of progressive women, who are champions of reproductive freedom, in elected office.
● Bachelor’s degree and 5 – 7 years of leadership level experience in political, campaign, or nonprofit communications, marketing, or public relations, or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
● Experience developing and executing a comprehensive communications plan on a political or advocacy campaign or for a nonprofit organization.
● Experience running successful communications campaigns online.
● Demonstrated ability to manage multiple communications projects at once. Strong writing and editing skills, including the ability to produce content on tight deadlines and for a wide range of audiences.
● Experience creating and maintaining website and social media content.
● Knowledge of NGP or another constituent relationship management (CRM) tool for email campaigns.
● Graphic design experience preferred.
● Knowledge of HTML and video editing software preferred.
● Knowledge of North Carolina politics or reproductive freedom issues preferred.
● Experience developing relationships with the press preferred.
● Demonstrated commitment to dismantling systems of oppression and addressing sexism, racism, oppression, and inequity in the context of political work or issue or policy advocacy.
● The ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, to diverse audiences and in a variety of contexts; willingness and ability to speak in public and to facilitate meetings and trainings. Spanish language skills are a plus.
● Experience working with diverse communities and coalition partners and a proven track record of successful, mutually respectful relationships with diverse allies.
● An energetic team player with strong self-motivation, excellent organizational and time management skills and willingness to periodically work beyond the 9 to 5 hours of the normal workday, including evening and weekend meetings and events.
Under the direction and supervision of the Executive Director, the Communications Director will be responsible for:
● Developing a multi-prong, strategic communications plan that addresses internal and external communications needs and considers website, email, social media, traditional
media and more, all designed to reach diverse audiences with culturally-appropriate and compelling messaging and through accessible vehicles.
● Achieving agreed to increases in numbers of Lillian’s List online followers, interactions, and subscribers through execution of a statewide campaign to bolster Lillian’s List’s membership and reach areas of the state where women are underrepresented in local office.
● Developing or supporting development of innovative content for our online presence, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and ensuring a user-friendly and cohesive website is maintained to bolster our online presence and following.
● Create or support creation of persuasive, informative, and accessible public education materials, including social media content, blog posts, member emails, op-eds, letters to the editor, photos, and press releases.
● Developing and issuing research- and values-based talking points about reproductive freedom and gender equity that can be used by spokespeople from diverse backgrounds and communities, including staff, Board members, and candidates or potential candidates.
● Actively seeking out opportunities for Lillian’s List to participate in public discussions regarding women’s representation in political life and reproductive freedom, particularly to communities where women are currently underrepresented in local elected office.
● Monitoring Lillian’s List media coverage and helping develop or improve press engagement with Lillian’s List as necessary or appropriate.
● Expanding public awareness of the mission of Lillian’s List by fulfilling public speaking opportunities, representing the organization at events, and strategic work with earned media.
● Developing and maintaining relationships with coalition partners, media outlets, Board, and staff.
● Other activities as assigned.
● Salary range $65,000 – 75,000 depending on experience and qualifications.
● Excellent benefits include: paid vacation and sick leave, health and dental insurance, a matching simple IRA, generous paid holidays.
How to apply:
Applications should include
● Cover letter describing relevant experience and why you want to work for Lillian’s List
● Writing samples or links to work samples that demonstrate the ability to speak to different audiences and experience with both digital and traditional mediums
● List of at least two professional references, including contact information for each.
Submit email applications to:
Sarah Preston, Executive Director
Lillian’s List Action Fund
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Lillian’s List is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We encourage applications from all interested persons, including people of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ persons.