It’s been a long and at times difficult year, as we continue to battle against the ongoing pandemic and the spate of attacks on reproductive rights around the country. But as we reach the end of 2021, we wanted to reflect on some of the highlights we’ve experienced this year.
Join us as we count down our Top 5 Moments of 2021:
5. Swearing in of new female legislators. The November 2020 elections brought three new female Senators to the NCGA: Sarah Crawford, Julie Mayfield, and DeAndrea Salvador. We were so excited to see them sworn in this January, and for all the great work they’ve been doing in the legislature since.
4. Sen. Mayfield stands up to Mark Robinson. After a series of horrific statements made by the Lt. Governor, Sen. Mayfield made an impassioned speech on the Senate floor in support of the LGBTQ community. Her words angered the Lt. Governor, who tried to intimidate her after her speech, but Sen. Mayfield did not back down.
3. Inequality Day rally in support of women’s vote and the ERA. We celebrated the 101st anniversary of the 19th amendment, which granted some women the right to vote, and demanded the passage of the Equal Rights Amendment. The rally, in front of the NCGA, featured rousing speeches from Reps. von Haefen and Fisher and Sens. Murdock and Marcus, as well as a special appearance from U.S. Senate candidate Cheri Beasley!
2. Horrific anti-choice bill HB 453 is defeated! Thanks to a veto from Governor Cooper, as well as strong advocacy from many of our Featured Candidates, we were able to prevent yet another regressive anti-choice bill from being enacted in North Carolina.
1. Lillian’s List Foundation expands. This year, we launched a new website and three social media accounts to share the work that Lillian’s List Foundation does. We are especially proud of our new training programs, the Elect Women of Color Training Institute and our Win Locally program, where we focus on recruiting and supporting women of color candidates and local races, respectively.
Thanks for being a member of the Lillian’s List Sisterhood, and we wish you and yours a safe and healthy holiday season.
Happy New Year!